Magnesium is an important mineral responsible for building and strengthening bones and teeth, relaxing muscles, transmitting nerve signals, contributing to the integrity of the immune system, producing enzymes responsible for energy metabolism, and regulating blood pressure. Magnesium is found in a wide variety of plant foods as well as certain types of fish. The Recommended Daily Value (DV) of magnesium for adult men is 420 mg; for adult women it is 320 mg. Foods that provide more than 20 percent of the DV of a nutrient are considered excellent sources of that nutrient.
Black and soybeans are the richest sources of magnesium.Spinach and Swiss chard (both dark green leafy vegetables) are excellent sources of this mineral.Certain types of fish are excellent sources of magnesium, particularly Chinook salmon and white halibut. Cocoa Powder (Dark Chocolate).
Benfits of Magnesium Containing Food.
1. Better sleep – The sleep regulating hormone melatonin is disturbed when Magnesium is deficient. Furthermore, Magnesium brings balance and controls stress hormones. Stress and tension are often reasons why people suffer from insomnia in the first place
2. Relaxes the nervous system – Serotonin, which relaxes the nervous system and elevates mood, is dependent on Magnesium
3. Bigger, stronger muscles – Magnesium allows the body to produce more Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF-1), which is a major contributor to the growth and strength of muscles. Furthermore, adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is the cell’s energy store, and is created with help from Magnesium.
4. Better flexibility – Magnesium loosens tight muscles. Without Magnesium, muscles do not relax properly and cramps occur. Magnesium is important for flexibility, because low Magnesium results in a buildup of lactic acid, causing pain and tightness
5. Bone integrity and strength – Magnesium helps to fix calcium properly. It may blow some people’s mind that the calcium supplements they’re taking are not only useless, but are actually contributing to osteoporosis! There are actually about eighteen essential nutrients that contribute to bone health; Magnesium is definitely one of the most essential, because it stimulates a particular hormone called calcitonin. And, it also suppresses a hormone called parathyroid that breaks down bone
6. Remineralizes teeth – Magnesium deficiency causes an unhealthy balance of phosphorous and calcium in saliva, which damages teeth.
7. Alkalizes the body – Magnesium helps return the body’s pH balance. Magnesium reduces lactic acid, which is partly responsible for post-exercise pain (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)
8. Hydrates – Magnesium is a necessary electrolyte essential for proper hydration
9. Helps to relieve constipation – Magnesium can be used to cleanse the bowels of toxins
10. Enzyme function – Enzymes are protein molecules that stimulate every chemical reaction in the body. Magnesium is required to make hundreds of these enzymes work and assists with thousands of others
11. Diabetes – Magnesium enhances insulin secretion, which facilitates sugar metabolism. Without Magnesium, glucose is not able to transfer into cells. Glucose and insulin build up in the blood, causing various types of tissue damage, including the nerves in the eyes